Growing A New Christian Political Imagination
A guided reading and tutorial summer school
All sessions are online, meeting at 6pm (British Summer Time) for 1.5 hours.
The price is £150. To register email email@example.com
Numbers will be restricted so as to preserve the conversational, informal, and informative nature of the tutorials.
Apart from doing the readings, there are no set assignments.
Participants are not expected to have prior theological education; however, you will be expected to engage with academically rigorous texts many of which are considered core in the field.
A main point of the tutorials is to provide a guide through these texts.
The readings are between 20 and 30 pages.
They are ordered according to importance for the tutorial. Definitely read the text marked “1” and try to read the others.
All the readings and materials will be provided.
I. Monday 20 July 2020
1. Sarah Coakley – Kenosis and Subversion (read it all if you can, but particularly pay attention to the Intro, Section I, end of Section V and Section VI)
2. Justin Bronson Barringer – Subordination and Freedom
3. Eric Heen - Philippians 2 and Resistance to Timocratic Rule
II. Monday 3 August 2020
Witness to the Principalities
1. Walter Wink – Naming the Powers
2. Epistle to the Ephesians
3. James Davison Hunter – Rethinking Power
III. Monday 17 August 2020
Kingdom or Christendom
1. William Cavanaugh – Killing For the Telephone Company
2. Stanley Hauerwas - Why Did Jesus Have To Die?
3. Søren Kierkegaard – Selections from the Moment and other writings (Section V “Christian Collisions” in the Provocations pdf)
For each reading, come to the session with
I look forward to meeting you soon!